Have you cleaned your gutters this season? The Rooftop Designs team discusses why clean gutters are important to the overall health of your home and how to DIY this task:
The Importance of Clean Gutters
Gutters may seem like just another part of your home from the outside, but they actually help prevent many different problems, including:
- Flooding of your home’s landscape
- Erosion around your foundation
- Plumbing clogs
- Pest problems
- Water damage
- And more
Gutters are designed to move water safely away from your home to prevent issues related to excessive moisture. A clogged gutter can’t reliably move water along its path, which can lead to gutters overflowing and water running down the side of your home to settle near your home’s foundation. If the clog is bad enough, it can move into your plumbing system and affect your shower, sinks, toilets, etc.
4 Simple Steps to Clean Your Gutters Yourself
What you’ll need:
- Sturdy ladder
- Rubber gloves
- A small, plastic scoop
- Tarp or bucket
- Garden hose
Follow these tips to clean your gutters:
- Place the ladder on a stable and reliable surface.
- If you’re using a tarp, spread the tarp out onto the ground. If you’re using a bucket, simply bring the bucket with you as you climb the ladder (or have someone hand you the bucket once you’re safely near the roof).
- Using the small plastic scoop, remove debris from the gutters. You can drop the leaves, twigs, mud, etc., into the bucket or directly onto the tarp underneath.
- After all the debris has been removed, use the garden hose and let water flow through the gutters to flush out any remaining scum.
If this essential task isn’t already on your to-do list for spring, you’ll want to make sure you add it.